Attack in broad daylight


We were standing in the kitchen chatting, when a screech like I'd never heard before came in through the open window. 

'What's that?' I wondered out loud, a sinking feeling reaching me before the realisation hit me just as Olha named it 'the rabbits?'

The shrieking continued as I ran down the stairs and out into the garden, my feet moving beneath me without me telling them what to do. 

As I arrived at the rabbit enclosure I looked over to see a red fox, inside the rabbit house. A voice I didn't recognise left my throat and shouted 'Oh My God!' The fox, which had had its jaws around Mocha's neck, let him go, and Mocha shot up the stairs into the upstairs, joining his brother Benek in the relative safety of the first floor. I reached in and shut the door at the top of ladder, keeping them inside before turning my attention to their attacker.

The fox, disoriented, wasn't finding the door to get out so I stepped backwards and closed my mouth, which was still emitting strange shouty noises.

It found the exit and without looking at me jumped gracefully over the side of the rabbit run, heading straight towards Olha, who had followed me and was brandishing a big stick. It changed its mind then and turned towards the compost heap, vanishing behind the raspberry bushes.

I realised I was shaking.

- - -

After we extracted them from the hutch, with no visible signs of injury, we rushed them to the vet, who gave them a thorough check and told us that even if she couldn't find anything we would need to keep an eye on them and ensure the shock didn't stop them eating and drinking.

I was grateful I could give the good news of the rabbits to the children, alongside the shocking news of the fox.

In the year since we brought them home from the refuge, I had thought of the rabbits as minor inconveniences. Creatures that were not very cuddly but still needed constant care and attention. This episode made me realise I have actually grown a bit attached to them. 

A couple of days on, I am proud of tough little Mocha who has stopped hyperventilating and shaking, and hops about apparently without a care in the world. 

Benny is taking a little longer to come round. He mainly sits and although he has been eating and drinking a bit, he still looks a bit stunned. Let's hope a bit more time and a few more carrots do the trick.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Movement + Air + Home = Life

homeowner

2022 the year of the butterfly