A Monday

At 6.30am we get up before the kids, get ourselves washed and dressed and lunches packed before coaxing three sleepy heads out of their beds.

Marek takes Louise and I get on my bike and try to keep up with the two big ones, down the road, over the boulevard and parked up in front of the school. Kisses, bags and off they go.

I notice I don't have my keycard so cycle home before heading off to work. I go to a short meeting, chair the Monday morning staff meeting, sort through my emails, drink a couple of coffees and catch up with colleagues, settle down to a chunk of work and suddenly it's lunchtime.

Back on the bike, I go home, make a quick sandwich and settle down in front of my computer to finish some work bits before picking up Elsie and Molly in time for Elsie's music lesson, with a quick trip to the shop for some essentials.

The bike trip to school and home is quick. The girls unpack bags, Elsie grabs her ballet bag and music folder and we get back on the bikes to head for the music academy. We wave Elsie off and Molly moans that her legs hurt as we are pedalling home. She had gym at the end of the day and the uphill biking tests her.

Once home, I take a call from my director, email her request onwards and sort the tea. Molly accompanies me round the corner to collect Louise from creche, this time walking but with Louise's little plastic bike tucked under my arm. She pushes herself on the bike about half way and then demands to be carried.

The girls help me lay the table and we eat, just the three of us, before Marek arrives from work. I get on my bike again, and go for Elsie at the academy. "I waited ten minutes mummy!" She scolds.

Marek's eating, Elsie's tea is almost ready, I pack a few bits in a bag and get Louise through the bath.
They settle down for a story with Marek when I say goodbye and get back on my bicycle for a final short ride down the hill to a public info session on the building development they are planning for behind our garden, down the hill by the train tracks. The presentation is brief but fairly comprehensive. The audience is knowledgable and fired up. I enjoy the calls for more respect for biodiversity, less need for dense housing and better attention to wellbeing. We agree that the future is car free and I am inspired by my fellow Belgians.

It's 10pm when I get back, park my bike one last time in the hallway, and think about heading for bed. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Movement + Air + Home = Life

homeowner

2022 the year of the butterfly