Politics

She didn't need any help with the poster, had it all mapped out in her head. Votez pour Elsie! it said in big letters, each coloured a different colour of the rainbow. She stuck a photo of herself in the corner and carefully wrote out key words to remind her what to say when they did their presentations. Pas timide et courageuse; j'ecoute les autres; joyeuse. All qualities that she thought would win over her classmates. Once the poster was done it was time for bed. Elsie turned and looked at me on her way up the stairs. 'Mummy' she said in a quiet sad voice. 'I don't think they'll pick me.'

***

Bounding in through the door, her first words were 'I am the delegue de classe!' I was overjoyed for her, thrilled her confidence had been given the boost she deserved. 'Well done!' How did the presentation go?' I asked. 'I told them everything, and they gave me ten votes. The others got 4 and 2. Yasmine got 1.'

At dinner she was quiet, then suddenly burst into tears. 'I feel sorry for Yasmine.' she sobbed. 'I wish she'd got two votes.'

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Movement + Air + Home = Life

2022 the year of the butterfly

Weekends as parents